Bible In One Year-Day 249 (Saturday, September 06, 2014)
Job 17:1 “My breath is corrupt, my days are extinct, the graves are ready for me.”
This was Job’s statement in his unbearable situation. His friends remained a problem to him in words. The conclusion of Job concerning his friends was really true, even though the friends looked at themselves as saying the only truth. Job said that they lacked the understanding of what he was passing through.
Job 17:4 “For thou hast hid their heart from understanding: therefore shalt thou not exalt them.”
Understanding is very crucial in life. To have knowledge is quite different from having understanding. This is God’s admonition to us; have understanding.
Proverbs 4:7 “Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.”
To get understanding is to have insight into a situation. It is to have the light of the Holy Spirit shone in the heart. It is to receive teaching from the Holy Spirit. For instance, Apostle Paul had knowledge (as taught by men) before he met Jesus Christ but lacked the understanding of the scripture. Therefore, he persecuted the Apostles and the Christians. But when he met Christ in the light he had never seen before, in the glory that left him blind, everything about him changed. The teaching of Christ in that revelation gave him the certificate to be a messenger of truth.
Galatians 1:11-12 “But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.”
Understanding helps us in so many ways. Some of them are:
- We stop pleasing men but God, Gal1:10
- We receive direct teaching from Christ, Gal1:12
- The truth is revealed, Gal1:16
- We are rightly led, Gal2:2
- The will of God becomes the goal, focus and pursuit.
- You know your divine assignment.
- You rejoice at your persecution by the ignorant.
- You do not become slaves to ‘prophets’, Gal1:16
- You are not tossed about by any doctrine but remain steadfast in Christ Jesus.
- You become satisfied with the precepts of God designed for your life, Psa119:104.
- Position and material things of this world becomes meaningless to you, Prov16:16.
- You will hate evil, Psa119:104
- You know where situations end.
- You when somebody is still relevant in your life and when the person is done.
- You will know when to talk and when to be quiet.
- You will love what God loves and hate what He hates.
- You will not sin even in trying, difficult and hard times.
- Your judgment will be a righteous one, 1King3:9/ Isa11:3
- You know goodness from evil. Prov19:8
- Your dwelling will be with the wise, Prov21:16
- You become a mystery to people, John3:7-8
Understanding is absolutely the impartation of the Holy Spirit.
Exodus 35:31 “And he hath filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship;”
You need the fullness of the Holy Spirit to get understanding. You can be taught by men, i.e. you acquire knowledge from the teaching of men, but understanding (i.e. revelation) is of the Holy Spirit.
Isaiah 11:2 “And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;”
Seek for understanding in all your ways and you shall be exalted.
Let us seek for the old path where we could find rest. Let us listen to the trumpet’s sound, wherewith we could escape the calamity to come. Our reading for today is Job19-21. Keep the fire of burning and alive.
Pastor Supo Abayode
Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries